About Blue Hill Memorial Hospital’s Skilled Nursing Program
Our skilled nursing (also known as "swing bed") team offers a full range of services, tailored to the needs of individual patients and their loved ones. Our services are designed to help facilitate rapid and lasting recovery after a stroke, surgery, major illness, or accident. Blue Hill Memorial Hospital's Skilled Nursing program will enable you to return home and/or to work as soon as possible. Within our program, you will benefit from our:
- Hospitalist program, featuring physicians who understand the specalial needs of hospitalized patients
- Highly qualified registered nurses
- Nutrition Therapy, overseen by a registered dietician
- Physical, Occupational, Speech and Respiratory Therapy
- Patient activities that take into account your personal interests and hobbies whenever possible
- On-Site Laboratory Services
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Pet-friendly, and Internet accessible rooms (depending on the unique needs of our patients)
- On-Site Pharmacy, which includes assistance with medication management upon discharge if needed
- Social work, to help you with insurance or other financial issues, transition to life outside the hospital, and more
- Delicious and nutritious meals, featuring local, organic food whenever possible
How Does the Program Work?
We work with regional hospitals, nursing homes, and other organizations to identify patients who would benefit most from the personalized services of a small, community hospital that is backed by the resources of a larger, tertiary hospital (Easter Maine Medical Center, or EMMC). Patients are typically admitted to our skilled nursing/swing bed program after an "acute" hospital stay or following surgery. While admission to our skilled nursing/swing bed program requires a referral from a physician, our staff regularly consults with patients considering optional surgery, family members, and others involved in your care. Once you have been admitted to uor program, our interdisciplinary team works with each patient to develop an individualized plan of care. We also work with loved ones, to ensure that the transition to home, or another care environment, is as smooth as possible.
Patients can remain in our program for as long as they have skilled therapeutic goals that need to be met. Our generous visiting hours encourage loved ones to become part of the healing process when appropriate.
Our skilled nursing/swing bed program is often covered by Medicare and Medicaid, as well as many private insurance plans. We also have a financial assistance program for those who qualify.
For more information regarding our skilled nursing/swing bed program, please contact Lisa El-Hajj, RN at (207) 374-3471. An experienced nurse with a passion for her patients, Lisa looks forward to hearing from you!